1101 New York Avenue
Alamogordo, NM 88310
In the portico of the county office building are three frescos painted by Peter Hurd from 1940-1942, with funding from the Treasury Section of Fine Arts, Art-in-Architecture program. Yucca and Sorghum measure 4′ by 3′, and are installed on either side of the larger Sun and Rain. The mural on the left contains the artist’s own home at Pichaco in the foreground and the San Andres Mountains and White Sands in the background. The life-size figure of a woman is Miss Edna Imhoff, a teacher, and the little girl is Della Joiner, daughter of the Postmaster at Hondo. The mural on the right depicts a shepherd praying for rain. Hurd used Dorothel Montoya, well known to the big sheep outfits in the Hondo Valley for this likeness. This Pueblo style building was constructed in 1938 as a WPA project as the Alamogordo Main Post Office and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Until 2008 it was used as the federal government's Lincoln National Forest Service Building; it now houses Otero County offices.